Geeks of the Round Table

Geekasaurus Mike is a proud affiliate of Geeks of the Round Table at http://geeksotroundtable.blogspot.com/

12/5/12

Trailer Trashing: Man of Steel


So the last Superman movie  (Superman Returns) was not the comeback DC wanted for the Man of Steel. Sure, it didn't bomb like, oh, I don't know, movies about an anti-heroine with a penchant for feline emulation, but it just wasn't what the company needed to bring the Superman movies back. I think a lot of this came down to the story. Brandon Routh was a decent last son of Krypton as far as his acting, though I think people were bothered by how skinny he was.


Jeez, someone get Superman a sandwich.
But the story is what just killed this movie. It wasn't bad, per-say, it was just bland. Lex Luthor has an evil plot to get rich, Lois Lane is kidnapped and a call is sent to Superman, who Luthor repels with kryptonite but ends up saving the day anyway.

There were NO surprises in this movie, except maybe that Superman had a son with Lois Lane who kind of has super powers. Even that little twist works against it, however, as Superman doesn't actually take any responsibility for the boy in the end. Defender of truth and justice indeed, though I must admit, I enjoyed how everyone but Lois Lane at one point or another suspects that Kent is Superman. I don't know, I was amused.

Whoa, whoa. Kent might be Superman?!

That wasn't enough to save the movie, however, and the rebooted Superman movie franchise died as quickly as it had come.

But now with the monumental success of “The Dark Knight” trilogy, DC is ready to try again with another Nolan piece, “Man of Steel.” There's only one trailer out for the movie at the time I'm writing this, and it's...well, interesting is certainly a word that would fit.



So, is “Man of Steel” some kind of metaphor for a “Deadliest Catch” movie? That's Henry Cavill as Superman, who you should recognize as Theseus from “Immortals” or as Albert Mondego from “The Count of Monte Cristo.” But how convincing will he look in the blue tights?



Well, if nothing else, Cavill has sheer size on Routh. Looking at the two, who would you think of more as a super strong, invincible hero? Yeah, Cavill wins that hands down. Going back to the trailer, what is with them being on a boat, or with Superman just wandering down the street? Why is the music painfully clearly form Lord of the Rings?

Here are my theories: in this movie, Nolan isn't going to focus on the powers, but how a supernaturally powered alien would feel, well, alienated from his surroundings. It's the kind of realist approach that made the Batman movies so great, after all. This Kent may well be on the boat and the street because it lets him keep his distance from the rest of the world, which could be supported by the speech from who I'm guessing is either Pa Kent or Jor-El. In it, he's urging Clark/Kal to use his abilities to make an impact on humanity, be it for better or worse. I think Superman's real journey is going to be coming to terms with his status as an alien while still working for the benefit, and possibly acceptance of his adopted world.

But why is he in handcuffs in the picture above, surrounded by soldiers? I think he's trying to show the world he's not a threat by willingly going into government custody. If you look at him, he's not beat up, he doesn't look like he was hit with kryptonite, those are ordinary handcuffs, and hell, his HAIR isn't even out of place. To me, this all points to him stating “I'm not here to hurt anyone, see? I'm going quietly, though I could clearly escape if I wanted and there is jack-point-nothing you could do about it if I did.”

The villain of this film is going to be General Zod, who I think is perfect for the kind of movie I've predicted above. Zod is Clark's philosophic opposite, believing that his inhuman powers give him authority to rule over humans rather than the responsibility to defend them from their midst. He doesn't have any cronies that I see in the IMDB cast list, which gives him alone more freedom to be a foil to Superman.

Honestly, my hopes are really high for this movie. We're not given a lot of what it's about from the promotional material, as is the way with Nolan, but I'm excited about what we are getting to see.

As for the Lord of the Rings music...er...put it in the same category as the giant rabbit from Iron Man 3.